EcoTech Marine: VorTech
Lehigh University, 2005 - $18,738
Maintaining a reef aquarium requires adequate water circulation to balance water chemistry, carry nutrients to inhabitants, and remove waste, all of which can be accomplished by means of a pump system. The EcoTech Marine E-Team developed a new and improved pump, the VorTech™, which creates a natural wave-like water flow while minimizing the intrusion of heat and bulky equipment into the reef environment.
The team designed the pump to attach magnetically on either side of the tank glass, allowing the electric motor to reside outside the tank, while the propeller can be set to create a variety of surge types. Competitors’ pumps generally produce jet-stream water flows, as opposed to VorTech’s wave-like surges.
Update: The EcoTech team has gone on to form a successful aquarium products company. Visit their website here.
- Inc.com names EcoTech Marine in its fastest-growing companies list (Sept 2010)
- Given the Entrepreneurial Achievement Award from the Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Northeastern Pennsylvania (April 2012)
- EcoTech's products are now sold in 450 stores and 35 distributors across the US. The company has developed two more propeller pumps and an LED light for reef aquariums. EcoTech generated $15M in revenue in 2011, has 42 full time staff and a 4,000 square foot work space.
- In-depth article on EcoTech from NCIIA's guide to entrepreneurship, Getting Started as an Entrepreneur
- About NCIIA
- Meet our grantees
- For students
- For faculty
- Specialty training programs
- Annual conference
- NCIIA in the news
- Contact us