Open Minds 2012
Meet the Open Minds 2012 TeamsOpen Minds is the acclaimed annual exhibition of cutting-edge innovation from NCIIA's best student teams. The exhibition takes place each year during NCIIA's annual conference, and is an opportunity for student teams to demonstrate their products/companies, and receive local and national media coverage.
The following fourteen teams were selected to participate in Open Minds 2012. These teams were showcased at two exhibitions in San Francisco and also entered videos into the Open Minds video competition.
Congratulations to our video competition winners! Earth2Block's video was recognized for Greatest Social Impact Innovation AND Strong Arm Ergonomic Lifting Safety System's video was recognized for Best Pitch Delivery. Both teams won $1,000 each to help further their ventures.
- BrillianceStanford UniversityA low cost, low maintenance opto-medical device that uses high intensity LEDs for the treatment of jaundice
- GiraDora and Balde a BaldeArt Center College of DesignA portable faucet that provides running water from any container, and a human-powered washer and spin dryer to increase the efficiency and improve the experience of hand-washing clothes
- IntelliWheels, INC.University of Illinois at Urbana-ChampaignAfter-market additions to off-the-shelf wheelchairs that decreases the effort it takes to propel them
- GRIT Leveraged Freedom ChairMassachusetts Institute of TechnologyA lever-powered mobility aid designed for the use in developing countries
- Medtric Biotech, LLCPurdue UniversityDeveloping an innovative, environmentally friendly anti-infection technology
- The Integrated Punch BiopsyJohns Hopkins UniversityAn all-in-one skin biopsy device that efficiently and safely transects and retrieves the skin sample
- Strong Arm Ergonomic Lifting Safety SystemRochester Institute of TechnologyA form-fitting garment that incorporates a unique system of load-bearing straps that allows workers to lift heavy objects more easily and with significantly less risk of injury
- InserogenUniversity of California, DavisDeveloping SwiftVax, a plant-based production platform that produces animal and human vaccines efficiently and affordably
- MetCelOklahoma State UniversityDeveloping a Hybrid Composite Armor stand-alone insert that is capable of significantly reducing Behind Armor Blunt Trauma (BABT)
- NextDropUniversity of California, BerkeleyLeveraging the recent proliferation of mobile phones in India to provide households with accurate and timely information about when piped water will become available in their area
- Earth2BlockCalifornia Polytechnic State University, San Luis ObispoDeveloping earthquake-resistant,inexpensive interlocking compressed earth block (ICEB) construction
- Miret SurgicalStanford UniversityA modular, minimally invasive surgical system
- Project AgrowIIT BombayDeveloping a low cost, manually operated machine that enables de-cortication and de-husking of raw peanuts to deliver clean peanut kernels
- The Harker Innovation TeamA Lemelson-MIT InvenTeamA high school student team developing an Aquatic Thermoelectric Generator to produce energy from heat
About Open Minds
Interested in showcasing at Open Minds 2013? Check out the guidelines.
Open Minds is the acclaimed annual exhibition of cutting-edge innovation from NCIIA's best student teams. The exhibition takes place each year during NCIIA's annual conference, and is an opportunity for student teams to demonstrate their products and companies, and receive local and national media coverage. 10-15 teams are selected to participate in this high profile event, which involves an evening exhibition for NCIIA conference attendees as well as an exhibition open to the general public and an exciting video competition.
We are thrilled to once again partner with Inventors Digest for the 2012 Open Minds exhibition.
Open Minds Gold Sponsor
- About NCIIA
- Meet our grantees
- For students
- For faculty
- Specialty training programs
- Annual conference
- NCIIA in the news